The Maine Department of Education and Educate Maine announced the 2023 County Teachers of the Year at a ceremony in the Hall of Flags at the Maine state capitol this week.
Among the 16 members of the 2023 class were five teachers with degrees from the University of Maine or the University of Maine at Machias:
- Hancock County Teacher of the Year Miranda Engstrom ‘20G (UMaine), Reading Recovery and Gifted and Talented Teacher, Lamoine Consolidated School;
- Lincoln County Teacher of the Year Edith Berger ‘16G (UMaine), Writing and Social Studies Teacher, Miller School in Waldoboro;
- Penobscot County Teacher of the Year Jessica Archer ‘92, ‘09G, ‘13G (UMaine), Special Education and Adult Education Teacher, Orono Middle School;
- Washington County Teacher of the Year Colleen Maker ‘94 (UMaine Machias), Science and Engineering Teacher, Washington Academy in East Machias;
- York County Teacher of the Year Lisa Tripp ‘10 (UMaine), 6th Grade Science Teacher, Bonny Eagle Middle School in Buxton;
More than 500 teachers across the state were nominated for County Teachers of the Year by members of their school community. The honorees were selected by a panel of teachers, principals and business community members from each county. For the next year, they will serve as ambassadors for teachers, students and education throughout the state, and participate in the intensive Maine Teacher of the Year selection process, with finalists and a winner to be announced later this year.