Yellow postcards with requests for data verification are sent by Publishing Concepts and are connected to this project.
The University of Maine Alumni Association welcomes all alumni to participate in the UMaine Memories – Oral History Project, a publication that will unite alumni across generations. We have collaborated with industry-leader PCI to collect stories from alumni for inclusion in a digital and print publication, to be enjoyed by current and future UMaine community members.
The Alumni Association last participated in an Alumni Directory project in 2015. Though this project is not strictly an Alumni Directory, it will ensure that the stories of current generations are not lost to time, as well as aid in helping the Alumni Association amend our database with updated contact information.
Each and every UMaine alum has a unique story about their campus experience, and we want to hear yours! What is your favorite memory from your time in Orono? It can be lighthearted, serious, a heartfelt tribute, or humorous.
- Did you meet your college sweetheart on campus and become a life-long “bear pair”?
- Are you from a family of Black Bears?
- Was there a faculty or staff member who made a profound difference in your life?
- Were you a first-generation college student?
- Did you attend a memorable sporting event with Black Bear Athletics?
- Were you an All Maine Woman or Senior Skull who developed lasting friendships in those organizations?
The UMaine Alumni Association has partnered with Publishing Concepts (PCI) on this project for their alumni directory and oral history project experience. PCI employees will record your UMaine stories for consideration for inclusion in the digital and print publications. PCI will also verify your contact information on behalf of the Alumni Association, in order to keep our database up to date. Please note that we have not shared your information for marketing purposes outside of this UMaine Memories – Oral History Project.
There is no cost associated with sharing your story, and we encourage all alumni to participate. You will have the opportunity to purchase the publication as a hard-cover book or digital collection.
PCI will contact alumni through postcards and emails to encourage participation. You may schedule an appointment with a PCI representative who will record your story submission.
Share Your Story
If you would like to share your UMaine story, please call PCI at 855-376-4552.
Frequently Asked Questions
- I received an email/postcard/phone call asking for my personal information and a story about my experience at University of Maine. Tell me more about the project.
We have partnered with PCI (also known as Publishing Concepts) to produce an Oral History Publication for UMaine. PCI is a family owned business based in Dallas, TX that has published directories for educational institutions, fraternities, sororities, and military organizations across the nation for over 100 years. This project allows us to hear about your personal experiences from your time at UMaine and how the School helped shape your life since then. And, while we have you on the phone, we want to make sure your contact information is up to date.
- Does the UMaine Alumni Association benefit from this at all?
Yes, in a few different ways:
• Updated Information – allows us to effectively communicate with and engage alumni
• Legacy – sharing and collecting stories preserves the history of our Institution
• Revenue – generates non-dues revenue for alumni programs
• Pride – wearing apparel shows support and love for our Institution
- How do I know my information will only be used for Oral History Project purposes?
PCI is committed to protecting your information. The names, addresses and information provided to PCI for the publication of the Oral History Project will be held confidential by PCI, except to the extent that they are utilized in, or in the preparation of, the Oral History Project and except as required by court order or law. Upon completion of the project, PCI will redact PII (Personal Identifiable Information) from any and all electronic files that we have supplied or were produced by PCI in connection with the production of the Oral History Project.
- I would like to verify or update my information and share a story. How may I do this?
• If you have received a postcard or an email with a telephone number, you may call the number to speak with a dedicated representative for the Oral History Project. The representative will verify some basic data elements from the alumni information we have on file for you, make any updates where needed, and then ask you to share your story about your time at UMaine. Your story will be recorded and the sound clip provided to the University at the conclusion of the project.
• If you have received an email with an embedded link, you may go to the online site to review your information and submit a story.
- Can I choose what information prints in the publication?
The only information that is included in the publication is your name and class year, along with your story and photo. No contact information is printed. When you call to update your contact information, it will only be used to update your alumni record for UMaine. You may revoke consent for your story and/or photo to appear any time before the end of the updating phase by contacting PCI’s customer service helpdesk at 1-800-982-1590 / email@example.com.
- I updated my information but need some more time to think about what experience to share.
You can call back at any time before the end of the updating phase to share your story.
- I shared a story and the representative said I could send a photo. How do I do this?
You will receive an email with a link to upload one photo (black and white or color) plus a caption.
If you have also purchased a book but do not have an email address on file, you will be sent a photo mailer to send a physical photo in to be printed (note: the photo will be returned if you include a self-addressed, stamped envelope).
- Can anyone purchase a book?
The University of Maine Oral History Publication is available for sale only to UMaine alumni.
- I ordered a book / package over the phone and would like to cancel my order. How do I do this?
Contact PCI’s customer service helpdesk at 1-800-982-1590 and they will take care of this for you.